FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

WHAT IS A HERO? J L CAMPBELL'S WHO'S YOUR HERO BLOGFEST

HERO IS NOT A NOUN. IT’S A VERB.

Robert Downey Jr. said that in an interview that

I was reading with the ghost of Ernest Hemingway looking over my shoulder.

He growled, “The man’s right.” 

Then, he read the next sentence and snapped,

“How can a man get it right one breath and go tragically wrong the next?”

“Isn’t that the human condition?” I asked.

“Ha!” snorted Hemingway and stormed off into the shadows of my apartment. 

(He gets that way sometimes.)

What was the next sentence?

“Heroism’s one aspect of an entire spectrum of things –

an act of courage is no more important than an act of cowardice.”

Hemingway called out from the darkness,

“Show me a hero, and I will write you a tragedy. 

But by God, it will be one worth reading.  If Lord Jim had stayed a coward, Conrad’s book would have been shit!”

The release of the novel Saving Sam by J.L. Campbell has been timed to coincide with National Heroes’ Day celebrations in Jamaica.

Sam, the protagonist finds a hero—or heroine if you like—in his aunt and the mission of this blogfest is to write a maximum of 300 words about someone who has been a source of inspiration. So, Who’s Your Hero?





A THOUGHT:
 
You may be a hero unawares. 
 
That smile you gave to a grim face.  That squeeze to a slumped shoulder.  That ten minutes of true listening you gave to a co-worker stressed to the max.
 
You may also be that "last straw." 
 
That refusal to let a frazzeled driver in line ahead of you.   That insistence to your rights in a silly, minor disagreement.  That gossip that was "too good" not to pass on.
 
Little eyes are watching you unaware.  Bruised souls study you from the "shadows" of being invisible though in plain sight.
 
As you go about your job duties, hurting hearts bleed from invisible wounds, wail silent screams.
 
Do you use your eyes only to not walk into walls, or do you really "see" the people around you?
 
Be the change you wish to see in the world. 
 
Be that small candle that brightens a black day for someone lost in the dark of their silent pain.


14 comments:

  1. Roland, thanks for writing this. You've taken a different and interesting approach.

    We don't think of ourselves as heroes, but it's so true that many of us appreciate the small things - a listening ear, a word of encouragement, a comforting touch when we're heart sore.

    Your post classifies among the things we come across in a day that makes us go hmmm...

    Lots of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roland. Hemingway will always be my writer hero. I've gone for a living girl for my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J.L.:
    I always try to be different in an effort to surprise and hopefully delight. Thanks for appreciating it. :-)

    Denise:
    Actually, the hero I chose was ourselves ... if we so choose to behave heroically. :-) Your choice was sterling. She is a brave young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely sentiment Roland.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's in the little things we do for people every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Alex.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hemingway is such a romantic at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. brilliant post... we not be so brave as the heart we give.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little things we do or don't do, that no one notices except the person who receives them. We know the effect of little kindnesses when they come back and say, 'I learned this from you.' or 'you helped me see this'. That makes it worthwhile.

    Heroism when true is done without thought for the self, but only with intent to help another.(kind of like Superman. . .)

    Good luck JL with the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna:
    Thanks. I see so many lonely, hurting people in my job that it sometimes gnaws at me. I do what I can -- but I am a passing ship in the night.

    Alex:
    Yes, you understood. Thanks for "seeing." :-)

    Shelly:
    We are all so busy that we miss those drowning around us.

    Hemingway:
    Ah, you perceptive devil you. He may come visit you now! :-)

    Jeremy:
    You nailed it: it takes courage to share our hearts and compassion.

    D.G.:
    Enough little things of compassion builds a mountain of healing, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your take on the blogfest.
    "If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain.
    If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain." Emily Dickinson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle:
    I believe we are the balm this world needs to mend, but so many of us are harried by life that we fail to take time to pause to notice the hurts around us. Thanks for liking my take on J L's blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You challenge us in the best of ways. Thank you, Roland.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin:
    Thanks for thinking so. It is a broken world because Man makes it so. It is not tragic that so many are broken by life but that so few are mended. Thanks for dropping by. :-)

    ReplyDelete