FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, January 9, 2015

AUDIOBOOKS CAN IMPROVE YOUR WRITING



DID YOU KNOW AUDIOBOOKS CAN IMPROVE YOUR WRITING?


A) NO SKIMMING ALLOWED


     C'mon, admit it: you skim over the "boring parts" as you read print.  It's instinctive by now.

     But skimming robs you of the power and purpose of the words you skim!


B) AUDIO LETS YOU CATCH THE PACE, THE FLOW OF THE WORDS


     The sounds of the words will bleed into your own writing.  You will begin to "see" words as images.

     It will limit your use of HE SAID/SHE SAID in every line of dialogue.

     Don't tell me those words are invisible to readers -- only to you as you block them out as you write.

     You'll discover new ways to add pauses to the spoken lines.


C)  YOU'LL HEAR THE WORDS AS YOU WRITE THEM


     Maybe in your voice.  Maybe in the voice of your favorite narrators.

     It will spotlight "kinks" in your paragraphs.

     The audio's will create a Theater of the Mind letting you see words as images.


D) YOU'LL "READ" MORE


     Stephen King stresses that the more you read the deeper your perspective will be in your books.


     You'll read in places you couldn't with a print book: in bed, exercising, gardening, commuting.

     You'll discover favorite narrators and seek out books they narrate no matter the genre and 

your literary horizons will expand, enriching your prose, breathing new ides into your future novels.


E) YOU'LL LEARN


     AUDIBLE has its DEAL OF THE DAY:

     I got Arthur C Clarke's 2001 for $2!  The intro was by Clarke himself, detailing the unique way he wrote the book.

  I bought for $3.95 THE DOG WHO COULD FLY which has become my latest favorite book!
     I got BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S read by Michael C Hall of DEXTER fame (great narrator) for $2!

Craig Johnson of LONGMIRE fame detailed at the end of one of his books the origin of his hero and how he writes.  Great lessons.



F) YOUR OWN AUTHOR READINGS WILL IMPROVE FROM LISTENING TO PROFESSIONALS.


G) YOUR VOCABULARY WILL IMPROVE

     You'll learn new words from their use in context of the action of the novels.  

     You'll repeat crutch words less as you insert the new words into your prose.


OH, BEFORE I FORGET WHY ALL THIS TALK ON AUDIOBOOKS!
I'VE GOT A NEW, AFFORDABLE ONE!


Learn the Keys to Best-Selling Writing 
from the ghosts of
Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway
Alfred Hitchcock, Robert E. Howard
Emily Dickinson, H P Lovecraft
Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner,
 and many more!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roland .. thanks for this reminder (again) I had Audible a few years ago .. and never listened to anything - so cancelled. I think I must renew now ... and I have a reason to do so ... I'll do that this week .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilary:
    I cannot express how much I appreciate you being one of my biggest supporters. It means so very much to me. Thank you for being my friend, :-)

    As a rare blood courier often on the long, lonely rural roads, I have grown to appreciate Audible. Longmire, Spenser, Travis McGee, even John Steinbeck in his TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY have become great road companions!

    Have the happiest of New Years!

    ReplyDelete