FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, October 9, 2015

OCTOBER 9TH -- MY BIRTHDAY



What is in a day?

“Let gratitude be the pillow upon which you kneel to say your nightly prayer. 

And let faith be the bridge you build to overcome evil and welcome good.”
- Maya Angelou



Denise Covey & Alyssa McKendry are two with whom I share a birthday.  

Have you ever wondered what people share your birthday?


What are their hopes, their dreams, their life situations, their locations on this war-torn world?

Would one of your "bad" days be Heaven to them?  

Did they go to bed hungry or swallow bitter tears before fitful sleep swept them up?


"Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time."
- Jean Paul Richter

"The old age of an eagle is better than the youth of a sparrow."
- Greek proverb


On this day in 1849, Edgar Allan Poe's "Annabel Lee" was published,

just two days after his death from mysterious causes and in odd circumstances, even for him --

 theories include political thugs, rabies, brain lesion, or the most likely, 

a final binge either chosen or forced upon him by brothers of his newly-betrothed, who viewed Poe's interest in their sister as opportunism.

Oddly enough, Edgar Allan Poe is a major character in my THE RIVAL 

with Alice Wentworth the inspiration for Annabel Lee:


  
Joseph Conrad's Lord Jim was published on this day in 1900. 

During a pause in Chapter 13, a French officer muses,  

“Mon Dieu! how the time passes!”; this prompts a reflection by Marlow, Conrad’s narrator: 


"It's extraordinary how we go through life with eyes half shut, with dull ears, with dormant thoughts.


 Perhaps it's just as well; and it may be that it is this very dullness that makes life to the incalculable majority so supportable and so welcome."


 In her Common Reader (First Series),  Virginia Woolf cites the above passage as representative of Conrad’s lasting worth:

"His books, with their air of telling us something very old and perfectly true, which had lain hidden but is now revealed, stir the mind…. 

Complete and still, very chaste and very beautiful, they rise in the memory as, on these hot summer nights, in their slow and stately way first one star comes out and then another."


Will any of our books touch the reader in a like way?  Should we strive to be a touchstone for the person holding our book?


Enough wool-gathering.  Let us end with George Burns' and Mark Twain's thoughts on birthdays:

“I was brought up to respect my elders, so now I don't have to respect anybody.”
- George Burns

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of 80 and gradually age to 18."
- Mark Twain 

And don't forget:


 Victor Standish's latest novel can be purchased in Kindle format here.

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply -- the blood center is a harsh mistress. :-) Thanks, Ann

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Roland ... thanks for helping others out on your birthday. I did get the Last Shaman Trilogy .. that's coming over from your neck of the woods ... or over the pond!

    Take care and have a very happy year ahead ... hugs to you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Wolf Howl's epic adventure. May the rest of this year and the whole of the next be a splendid one for you. :-)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday My Friend. May Blessings abound around You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friendship is a fine birthday gift, Robert. May your body be mending ever faster and with less pain!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Roland! Hope you have a good day and a great year to come! That last quote by Mark Twain reminds me of Benjamin Buttons. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great day -- my supervisor and friend bought me a birthday cake today even! Thanks for the beautiful eCard!!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Good friends like you make each day a happy one for me. :-)

      Delete
  6. Hope you're having a wonderful day!
    Happiest of Happy Birthday's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yolanda -- sorry for the work-caused delay in my reply!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday, Roland! Hope you're able to celebrate and you're not on the road today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe -- though I had to be at the blood center, I did not have to get on the roads once! A birthday miracle from the Father. :-)

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday, Roland! I'm glad I didn't miss it.
    I wish you all the best, now and always...
    Love the cover of Carnival of the Damned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you, Vesper. I've been concerned. Are you all right? Didn't Leonora Roy do a great cover? Thanks for the birthday well wishes. :-)

      Delete
  9. As the White Rabbit famously once said:
    I'm late!
    I'm late!
    For a very important date!

    On your special day, I wish you peace, love, insight, relaxation, fun, knowledge, romance, friendship… and all that stuff that doesn’t cost anything :)

    Happy Birthday, Roland xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without all that stuff that doesn't cost anything, money is meaningless, right?

      Thanks for the well wishes. :-)

      Delete
  10. And a happy birthday follow-up for you, Roland, a couple days late. I love the Burns and Twain quotes -- so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I know the ghost of George Burns will begin to haunt me! :-) Mark Twain's already does! Thanks for the happy birthday follow-up!

      Delete