FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, March 1, 2019

How to Approach the Guilt, Shame & Privilege of being a White Woman


I was scrolling down my emails 
when I spotted the above article title.


WHAT THE?



All the white women with whom I work 

are too busy making ends meet, working, and raising their families to feel guilt, shame, 

and they certainly do not feel privileged!


It turns out that the article was written by a white woman 

who directs research and leads events with indigenous women.





But in the article, she wrote:

"There are assumptions that being white is doing wrong."



We are responsible for what we DO 
not what race or gender we are.


Brie Larson stated in a speech last year 

that she had no interest in hearing an opinion of a movie from 

someone who is male, pale, and middle-aged.


It seems to me as if we as a society 
have gotten lost in labeling 
folks as THEM and US.
The author of the article also wrote:

"People of all colors can create more harm than good. 

We need to all be part of this conversation"

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

10 comments:

  1. Say What? We are born as we are without our choosing. I also think the past is behind us and we should move forward. Don't repeat our past mistakes. (and by our I mean society's mistakes against one group or another).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I feel as well. Dwelling on the tragedies of the past only blinds us on how to move forward with wisdom and kindness.

      Delete
  2. I know I have blind spots and that, as a white male, I haven't faced some of the same things as other people. I try and treat everyone as well as what I can. Beyond that, this stuff gets way too complex for me. There's literally no way to navigate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it becomes murky when I accept blame where I have done nothing wrong except be as I was born. As you and I cannot see the world through others' eyes, they cannot see through ours or feel our pains. I think we need just to be kind to one another.

      Delete
  3. Hi Roland - we have absolutely no control how we're born ... but I'm glad I'm a white woman - who I hope has a lot of common sense, and is fair to one and all.

    We all need to lead our lives as we would hope others will do too ...

    Cheers Roland - good one ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am who the Father made me. I try not to damage his gifts to me! Thanks for staying to chat a bit. :-)

      Delete
  4. Labeling and pointing out our differences, even in celebrating them, only makes the rift grow wider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. We should focus those pains and dreams we have in common to grow closer.

      Delete
  5. I had the same, "What the?" response to the article title. I don't see how the denigration of white people helps anyone. I'd much rather focus on character and actions than on skin color, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took so long to reply. Work is too much fun! :-) To me, it is the human heart that is most important, whether it gives more than it takes.

      Delete