FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

HOW TO HOOK YOUR READER _ IWSG post


THE TITLE:


The title TUGS the eye of the browsing would-be reader on Amazon.  

It snares and entices.  

It makes your first impression.


THE COVER:


A successful book cover makes a reader 'feel' things rather than 'tell' them something.

The cover sets the mood of the book.    

If the cover is mostly dark colored with shadows and a disturbing image, 

it shows that the story inside the book must be scary.


THE FIRST PAGE:

 How to Write a Good Hook and 
Start Your Novel with a Bang! 

1.) Startle readers with the first line. 

2.) Begin at a life-changing moment. 

3.) Create intrigue about the characters. 

4.) Use a setting as the inciting incident. 

5.) Up the stakes with the first page.

6.) Introduce something ominous right away. 

 7.) Set the mood. 

8.) Make your characters sympathetic and relatable — immediately.

EXAMPLE: 

Take the first page of my next novel:
 WITHOUT MERCY OR NAME

(Did you know that hurricanes in 1947
 had no names?)


A POLISHED LIFE OF LIES

“It was a beautiful lie that Hoover had been telling himself: that he could bend his own rules to protect his sin without becoming more monstrous than those he was sworn to arrest.”
– Diary of Ingrid Durtz, 8 March, 1947


I once thought you had to be stabbed to hurt this badly.  I have come to realize that there are some memories that cut deeper than any surgeon’s scalpel.  Though our flight through the night skies was smoother than the softest velvet, I seemed to feel the aircraft shake violently from Nazi flack exploding all around us.


My memories had me back aboard the Douglas C-47 of my last mission ... the mission in which I died.  The airplane was originally designed as a passenger airplane for TWA airlines. However, it became a vital part of the Allied fleet in World War II, particularly during D-Day and missions over "The Hump,” the India to China airlift over the Himalayan mountains. 


It served in military missions for a long list of countries.  In addition to being well suited for carrying supplies, the C-47 was ideal for dropping paratroopers, with its wide rear door located between the left wing and elevator. Hence why I and my O.S.S. team members were then aboard.


That particular C-47 had been adorned with nose art done by Captain Lucas which gave the craft its much too melodramatic name: “Devil's Darlin'.”  



 Since he was my superior officer in the O.S.S. and the man I loved, I did not object … much.

Love.

The most used and least understood word in any language whether it be my native Swedish or Lucas’ American English.   

I thought I never would find a man I could love until I met Lucas.  He thought himself incapable of love, of loving me … until I died in his arms.

Life, love, death, undeath … they are never what you expect.

HOW DO YOU
HOOK YOUR READERS?

23 comments:

  1. Quite the name for a plane.
    I got better with my first lines. A line of dialogue or a thought are fun to throw out first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading over 1000 submissions, I can't stress enough how important that first page is to a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our first page may be the only page a browser reads if it falls flat! Ouch!! Great to see you here, Diane.

      Delete
  3. If a cover doesn't evoke some emotional response, it's not well designed. I so agree with what you've written. And those first lines are diamonds when well done. Man, do they take excavation sometimes. BTW Your covers are very evocative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work hard to make my covers riveting and evocative. Stephen King sometimes spent months, even years in writing a first sentences. Wow, right? Thanks for the kind words, Lee.

      Delete
    2. My pleasure. Here's to more books and more great book covers.

      Delete
    3. I've chosen a new title and new cover for the book up above: each more evocative I think. Thanks for always being in my corner, Lee. Hazy sends her regards. :-)

      Delete
  4. It all matters, I think. I love a good cover, but titles stop me. First lines drag me inside.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. It is a collaborative effort, like much of life, right? :-)

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how important first lines are, but the rest of the story relies on them. And after reading this, I'm reminded that I have a review to get up for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A review would be greatly appreciated by my cat, Midnight ... as you know by his picture at the end of Razor Valentine, he gets extra tuna with each new review! :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the concept of "startling" the reader with the first line and/or the first page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readers have literally "seen" it all: we must surprise to entice them these days. :-) Thanks for visiting, Madeline.

      Delete
  7. All so true. I've just rewritten my opening because it it hadn't been doing its job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Openings are crucial and hence, really hard to do right! :-)

      Delete
  8. I love your tips. Your title is really interesting and so are all of your examples. I like, "I once thought you had to be stabbed to hurt this badly." Happy IWSG Day, Roland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nice compliment, Erika! :-)

      Delete
  9. Great post, great tips! Razor Valentine has an awesome cover! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it. :-) It has at least evocative photos of old New Orleans and Hollywood.

      Delete
  10. Hi Roland! You certainly do bring on the intrigue in that opening.

    Thanks for laying out the opening rules so simply.

    ReplyDelete