FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, March 25, 2019

WHY DO YOU WRITE?



We tumble from womb to tomb ...

    from one blackness towards another,

        remembering little of the one and 

            knowing nothing of the other,

              except through faith.


Life distracts us, with happiness or struggle, 

    from seeing the tides that are drawing us towards 

        those clusters of events called 

Crossroads.

More tragically 
for our being blind 
to them.


The star, the wheel, the butterfly ...

    all are in an unseen state of turmoil,

        waiting for some signal that 
               the time has come.


Then, the star explodes,

The wheel of Fate turns, 
making a poor man rich,

The butterfly mates and dies.


STORY can say all that is unsayable in the world ...

    How can we resist attempting that?


Life has a way of bruising us 

    until we long for some passage out of ourselves.


That's what STORY does ...

    for a few precious moments

        it takes us out of ourselves

            to become someone other than who we are.


Each of us is a myth within our minds.

    We make it up. 

    It is the STORY of ourselves 
         we steer our actions by.

        It is not the truth of our life.  

           We could not bear to look at that.

It is the illusion which helps us 
keep on going in life.



Man alone

    tells STORIES to understand his world.



I believe that there is one STORY 

in the all world, and only one,

 that has frightened and inspired us.


 Humans are caught,
in their lives, in their thoughts, 
in their hungers and ambitions,
 in their avarice and cruelty, 
and 
in their kindness and generosity
 in a net of good and evil. 


 Do they struggle towards the light 
or embrace the darkness?


There is no other STORY.

 A soul, 
having emerged 
from the cocoon of this life, 
will have left 
only the hard, clean questions: 

Did I make my time good or evil? 

Was my life worth
the pain of my birth?


WHAT IS THE PARTICULAR
MAGIC OF WRITING
THAT KEEPS YOU DOING IT?




8 comments:

  1. At my age, I don't feel any part of the human condition you describe. I feel basically light and happy. And at peace with what has been and what is to come. As you know, I am not a writer, albeit, I made money as a technical one for many years. I write now, because it absorbs me so. I sit down and before I know it an hour or two have gone by. It's just fun to express myself, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch the news. Not the world news, the local news. A great many individuals are dysfunctional and little more than predators.

      Your heart is warm and loving, so, of course, you see the good in others. I walk the emergency rooms all over this state and see the harsh results of a humanity gone selfish and violent.

      Like you, I write because it absorbs me and it is fun to weave a world with humor and courage. :-)

      Delete
  2. I write to read the stories I can't find elsewhere.
    I do read for the escape, to get away from the heavy evils of this world. Although I am not without hope and know evil will lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, evil will lose but it will take the peace and lives of so many before it does. Thanks for visiting, Alex.

      Delete
  3. Don't want to let you off easy--you can still sign up for A to Z at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/2019/03/atozchallenge-sign-up.html
    until April 6 as you stated.

    I haven't been doing the pages but I'll try to remember to let someone know that the sign up link must be difficult to find.

    Anyway, there you go.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete