FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Q IS FOR ... SAY THAT AGAIN?

 "A wife is like an umbrella - sooner or later one takes a cab."

 - Sigmund Freud

{Freud/Jung on either side of the gentleman on the first row}

Freud was younger again ... about fifty, tapping his cane absently.

His eyebrow rose slowly. 

 "A more difficult letter this time, Roland.  What occurs to you upon hearing the letter Q?"

Mark Twain looked about to speak so I quickly answered, "Quotations."

Freud sighed, 

"Relying upon another's wisdom to appear wise yourself?"

I shook my head.  

"No.  Quotations help me look at the world through another's eyes and perhaps enlarge my own perspective."

Mark chuckled, 

"It is my belief that nearly any invented quotation, played with confidence, stands a good chance to deceive."

Freud frowned, "You would."

Trying to defuse this brewing storm, I said, "I almost said 'Dorothy Quick', one of your Angel Fish Girls."


Mark smiled warmly, 

"Sweet, gentle, lovely Dorothy.  She was one of my favorites." 

Freud was about to speak, but Mark raised a long forefinger.  "Not a word, Saw-Brains."

I lifted my own eyebrow at Freud, 

"Sometimes, sir, the wisest word is no word at all."

Mark smiled drily.  "You can quote him on that, Saw-Brains."

6 comments:

  1. This is one of the more original posts in all of AtoZ. Thanks for waking my brain up this morning, Roland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my weary evening much better, Jacqui! Because of a hectic schedule this morning, I was not able to visit my friends. :-(

      Delete
  2. Really cool how quotations can be seen two different ways. I really love the aspect of writing where you are seeing the world through other perspectives. - a-to-z challenge (https://www.erinpenn.com/blog/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perspective is everything, Erin. :-) Not just with quotations but with personal letters ( I have volumes of letters from famous writers -- Steinbeck, Twain, Hemingway) Eudora Welty wrote "All letters, old and new, are the still-existing parts of a life. To read them now is to be present when some discovery of truth—or perhaps untruth, some flash of light—is just occurring. It is clamorous with the moment's happiness or pain."

    ReplyDelete
  4. A genuine delight to make my way here today and discover your series. I guarantee I will be back to start from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete