FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Sunday, April 23, 2023

T is as ELUSIVE as SMOKE IN THE NIGHT

 "From error to error, one discovers the entire truth."

  - Sigmund Freud



Fright usually gives grey hairs, but it had made the hair of the ghost of Sigmund Freud darker.

He cupped his bearded chin in one hand.  "So now we arrive at the Letter T.  What occurred to you when I spoke that letter?"

I said, "Truth."

Sigmund Freud mused, "From error to error, one discovers the entire truth."

Mark Twain snorted,

"We are always hearing of people who are around seeking after the Truth. 

I have never seen a permanent specimen. I think he has never lived. 

But I have seen several entirely sincere people who thought they were permanent 

Seekers after the Truth. 

They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted judgment- 

until they believed that without doubt or question they had found the Truth. 

That was the end of the search. 

The man spent the rest of his life hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather."

Freud said, "I continued all my life to expand my knowledge of the truth lurking in the psyches of the bruised."

 Twain smiled sourly, 

"I have not professionally dealt in truth. 

Many when they come to die have spent all the truth that was in them, and enter the next world as paupers. 

I have saved up enough to make an astonishment here."

Freud frowned,

"Do not misunderstand me, Twain.  

We often believe, not on the basis of argument, but upon the basis of desire.  I have striven mightily to avoid that snare."

Mark snorted as he tipped his head to the ghost of Emily Dickinson as she passed.  

"Careful there, Saw-Brains.  No real gentleman will tell the naked truth in the presence of a lady."

Freud gave Mark a look that suggested to me I should have said, "Temper."



8 comments:

  1. Love that line about making an astonishment here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astonishment I believe will be ours when we reach the Other Side. :-) Thanks so much for visiting, Deniz. And so early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done. All the personalities are there, and great opening quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy sitting in on their verbal sparring, too, Erin. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think any extended length of time with Twain would wear me to the bone. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only if he disliked you as he does Freud. With ladies he was courtly almost. Two posts from now, you will learn why Twain dislikes Freud so much ... and it involves a lady of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL. The truth is quite powerful: wonder if Twain and Freud would recognise it if faced with it?

    Ronel visiting for T:
    My Languishing TBR: T
    Terrifying Trolls

    ReplyDelete