FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

HOW MUCH ARE YOU WILLING TO INVEST IN YOUR DREAM?


KEEP A JOURNAL:

If you want to write, you need to keep an honest, unpublishable journal that nobody reads, nobody but you. 

Where you just put down what you think about life, what you think about things, 

what you think is fair and what you think is unfair. 


READ:


You need to read. You can’t be a writer if you’re not a reader. 

It’s the great writers who teach us how to write.

Don't tell me that you don't have time to read.   

This is like a man starting up Mount Everest saying that he didn’t have time to buy any rope or pitons.




WRITE:


Write. Just write a little bit every day. Even if it’s for only half an hour — write, write, write.


Let the writer take up surgery or bricklaying if she is interested in technique. 

There is no mechanical way to get the writing done, no shortcut. 

The young writer would be a fool to follow a theory. 

Teach yourself by your own mistakes; people learn only by error. 

The good artist believes that nobody is good enough to give him advice. 

She has supreme vanity. 

No matter how much she admires the old writer, she wants to beat him.

What did Joss Whedon say?  "You either HAVE to write, or you shouldn't be writing at all."



LISTEN TO NEIL GAIMAN:


“Start telling the stories that only you can tell, 

because there’ll always be better writers than you 

and there’ll always be smarter writers than you. 

There will always be people who are much better at doing this or doing that – 

but you are the only you.”



TAKE THE TIME AND EFFORT TO BE AWARE:


Becoming a writer is about becoming conscious. 

When you’re conscious and writing from a place of insight and simplicity and real caring about the truth, 

you have the ability to throw the lights on for your reader. 

He or she will recognize his or her life and truth in what you say, 

in the prose pictures you have painted, 

and this decreases the terrible sense of isolation that we have all had too much of.

Try to leave the Ivory Tower School of Writing -- 

do not write about Man.

Write of A man ... or A woman ... 

trying to make sense of their lives, lost dreams, failed loves.

"Listen" to the stories of the lives around you.  

For it is in them that you will find the roots of your own novels.


START WRITING NOW:

Start writing right now. 

Don’t write it right, just write it –

and then make it right later. 

Give yourself the mental freedom to enjoy the process, 

because the process of writing is a long one. 

Be wary of “writing rules” and advice. Do it your way.


Ignore critics. 

Critics are a dime a dozen. Anybody can be a critic. Writers are priceless.


Go where the pleasure is in your writing. Go where the pain is.

 Write the book you would like to read. 

Write the book you have been trying to find but have not found. 

But write.



LEARN TO LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS:


Learn to trust your own judgment, 

learn inner independence, learn to trust that time will sort the good from the bad – 

including your own bad.

Every writer knows fear and discouragement. 

Just write. 

The world is crying for new writing.

 It is crying for fresh and original voices and new characters and new stories. 

If you won’t write the classics of tomorrow, well, we will not have any.


How much time do you put into writing each day?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - writing my posts, commenting and writing up talks etc - I spend rather too much on the dreaded machine. I don't read so much - but I do look around all the time ... but must build book reading in.

    It's pushing those boundaries .. following one's passion, and pushing the naysayers out of the way ... and keep on 'truckin' ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ever-demanding blood runs take so much time from me. I am allotted so little free time of late to visit my friends. Sigh.

      But we must focus on reading which is sowing the seeds in our unconscious for our own writing. I am glad you are my friend, Hilary. :-)

      Delete
  2. I hear you, especially about the reading. I don't know how many authors I've met that don't read much. They're few and far between. The more you read, the better in touch you are with your art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A farmer knows he will reap nothing if he sows nothing, right?

      Delete
  3. You are right in that some writers follow a theory or writing process they read about...without variance...and the results are generally quite predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry, I am glad you agree that our writing must follow our own nature. We must not ghost-write another's way of writing but stay tuned to our own way of prose. Good to see you here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to that Gaiman quote.
    I guess I'm not a real writer as I don't keep a journal. Do my blog posts count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogs are public journals. But the best journals are those never meant to be read by anyone but yourself.

      What's a real writer, anyway? :-)

      Delete
  6. I've tried keeping diaries and journals but that never worked for me so I gave up. It's easier for me to write fiction and much more engaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep one for dialogue that comes to me and for observations that occur to me on the road. Do what feels right for you, Helena, and you will not go far wrong. :-)

      Delete
  7. I love to journal those exquisite phrases i come across in my reading. When I need motivation, I can read words penned by those who write so much better than i do, and often this triggers an idea. Thanks Roland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you! I was beginning to feel like the only writer out there who still kept a journal. :-)

      Delete