FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, February 13, 2016

WHEN VALNETINE'S DAY IS HOLLOW

FEELING A BIT BITTER THIS VALENTINE'S DAY?




For many singles, instead of being a day for celebration it ends up bringing up feelings of self-doubt, loneliness or depression.

85% of all current relationships are unhappy according to the American Psychiatric Association.  Gulp!

Imagine being in one of them this Valentine's Day? 

At least if you are single, you have hope you will find that right person that will put you in the 15% category!


Remember That A Relationship Doesn't Define 

Who You Are

 

Just like when someone asks you what you do for a living, the same goes for your relationship status: 

Whatever your situation, it isn't the end-all explanation of who you are as a person.

  

  Love, like happiness,

 is found 

when your mind is focused on giving it to others.



Valentine's is just another day.

Treat it as such.  

It's Sunday this year: 
sleep in -- do what makes you happy.


Another person cannot
make you happy.

Only you can make you happy.


ONLY when you are whole within yourself
will you attract another whole person.

Two half-people sadly do not
make a whole one:

Only two thirsty people
trying to drink from leaking wells.


It is okay not to be okay.

Sometimes, people need permission to break. 

And it is from that broken place 
that they are finally able to become whole again.



Above all,
explore the world
waiting for you to discover it.

12 comments:

  1. All of the 'family' celebrations are wonderful for some, and as far from wonderful as it gets for others. And sadly our culture does its very best to force us into defining ourselves in trivial ways. Are we thin enough? Rich enough? Is our job/home good enough.
    Sigh. I am a broken person. Somedays more broken than others. It is what it is.
    Mind you I do love Calvin and Hobbes. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each of us, Ernest Hemingway would say, is a broken person. The wisest of us learn lessons from our pains.

      Our culture is, indeed, shallow. I pray that life becomes kinder to you each and every day. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Roland - we have to do our best for ourselves and thus then help others .. smile and be happy - regardless.

    The Buddha quote is so so true ... I do hope you will have a peaceful day with Midnight ... cheers and thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a rather grueling day of blood runs on Valentine's. Sigh.

      I slept 12 hours and would've slept longer but I had to get a broken tooth tended to, Ouch!!

      Delete
  3. To recognize what you have is a challenge at times. I hate that 85 percent of relationships are unhappy. It's difficult staying in a relationship.

    It is much easier to walk off and be alone at times. My big observation about life is running away does not always deliver a better life. However, my family makes me crazy at times. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family knows what buttons to push when they are upset which helps the make us so crazy! :-)

      Delete
  4. I don't mourn on Valentine's Day. Some do. You are right in that it is day out of many. Giving also brings us love. I've never allowed myself to feel lonely even when I'm alone. It's a waste of my time and as my Grandma Minnie used to say, "That's nonsense." :) (She was a little too tough.)

    You are awesome Roland. Love your posts, dear.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thanks for the "awesome". I just broke a front tooth. It is painful and I have to wait until tomorrow to get it fixed,

      If we lived under Putin, we would look at Americans, no matter their status, and envy them! :-)

      Delete
  5. Extremely well stated Roland.

    "To study Buddhism is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be enlightened by all things. To be enlightened by all things is to be free from attachment to the body and mind of one's self and of others. It means wiping out even attachment to satori. Wiping out attachment to Satori, we must enter actual society". (Eihei Dogen Zenji)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robert!! Yes, by focusing on what truly matters, we sometimes discover depths to the world that we had been blind to!

      Delete
  6. I'm so busy anymore I didn't even notice that it was Valentine's Day. What's more important to me is that tomorrow, the 15th, is my best friend's birthday. Friendship is one species of relationship that can really work and be happy.

    Take care, Roland my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so Happy Friend's Day!! Valentine's snuck up on me, too, due to so much to do!! Thanks for being my friend! Roland

      Delete