FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, February 4, 2016

WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING AS A WRITER?

Last week I got called in to the office of the Head of Lifeshare Blood Center.

No hint why the center head wanted to see me.  

With lead stomach, I walked in and found the center  head wanted me to be the Spotlight Employee of the month.


Nice Surprise.


Of course this week I found that my ebooks had been pirated, explaining the ZERO sales of late ... 

so if any of you out there haven't gotten one of my ebooks yet ...

please consider getting one just so I can see a number besides ZERO in my column!  :-)


The pat on the back by my center and co-workers has helped me keep on keeping on this week.

It got me to wondering what keeps you going as a writer? 

Writing is  not about writing in spurts of inspiration. It’s about doing the work, day-in and day-out.

The true mark of a champion is a commitment to the craft of writing.

Read about the lives of great writers.  At one point they all said, "I can't go on."  And then, they went on.  

The WHY of their keeping on varied, but they kept on. 

We all have walked sidewalks. 

Remember the blade of grass thrusting up stubbornly from between the cracks?

Despite the tramp of countless feet, the tiny gram of soil for its roots, 

that one blade reached up for the sun.  That must be us.

Anne Lamont, author of Bird By Bird, wrote:

I know some very great writers, writers you love who write beautifully 
and have made a great deal of money, 

and not one of them sits down routinely feeling wildly enthusiastic and confident. 

Not one of them writes elegant first drafts. 

All right, one of them does, but we do not like her very much.

So how do you keep going as a writer?

16 comments:

  1. I recognize that anxiety. You probably picked it up from teaching. When there was a conflict or difficult situation, it was always out of left field with warning. I don't miss that part of teaching.
    I'm glad you have gotten your grounding about the pirates. I looked at the sites. They all had links that I would not touch. They look more like cons. Best wishes on your sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. I am at peace about all this pirating mess and the fomatter fuss. If it continues, I will simply leave for other endeavors. Life is too brief to pump a dry well. Thanks for being my friend.

      Yes, teaching was ... unique ... the office politics and parents mostly. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on Employee of the Month! But so sorry to hear about the pirating. How frustrating. I think what keeps me writing is simply that I couldn't give it up if I wanted to. It's in the blood. Here's wishing you better sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T. I know what you mean about it being in the blood. As soon as I wrote Ann about leaving, an idea for a new story came to mind. Sigh. :-)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on being honored by your employer, Roland. That’s awesome. What keeps me writing (for publication as opposed to writing for myself)? Pure, unadulterated stubbornness. The moment I write something that reflects the best of me and what I’m capable, I'll likely lay down my pen.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being recognized by my employer is nice. The thing about writing what reflects the best of you is that next week that best will have gotten better! :-)

      I've missed you here. Thanks for visiting and staying to chat.

      Delete
  4. Hi Roland - well thank goodness that leaden stomach didn't need to sink lower. I'm pleased you were recognised there ... Mr Spotlight Man.

    Re your books - I'm glad you're still going for your writing ... it means so much ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, fame is fleeting! :-) I mean to continue to write, though blood runs are increasing and affording less and less time to write. :-(

      Delete
  5. So rotten to have your work pirated:( If some likes it enough, I hope they go buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disheartening it is, Mark. I will get back to you about your book in August and what you can do to bring attention to it. Dating Miley Cyrus would be one way ... but some prices are too steep to pay for fame! :-)

      Delete
  6. Writing is all we can control. We can't make people buy or like our books. No one owes us a living. But, we can write forever. Write long, and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want people to stop stealing my books, Walter! Ouch.

      :-)

      I try to write better with each page I type -- you're right, that is all we can control -- nor do I think anyone owes me a living -- just don't steal my livelihood! :-)

      Delete
  7. What keeps me writing is that I have stories that I want to share. That I make a little money at it is a bonus. It helps me keep sharp and have a deeper understanding as a high school English teacher, and seeing your work in print, I think is pretty neat.

    And good job with the Spotlight Employee award, Roland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My supervisor deserved the award more. :-)

      Yes, I suppose you have a point: to see our work in print and know that a few have found pleasure in reading our tales is a pretty good incentive to keep on writing.

      Have a smooth week!

      Delete
  8. For me I keep going as a writer because --well what else am I supposed to do with my life? Nothing else quite fits me right. So even when it is hard writing is just what I do.

    If I were to check out one of your books which would you recommend I start with? There are so many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True writers are like artists who must paint or burn inside I believe.

      If you are into YA Urban Fantasy, THE LEGEND OF VICTOR STANDISH is a good place to start with my books.

      If you like Historical Fantasy, THE STARS BLEED AT MIDNIGHT is a nice starting point with Mark Twain, Oscar Wilde, and Nikola Tesla in 1895 Egypt with an undead Abigail Adams thrown in for spice.

      HER BONES ARE IN THE BADLANDS is a short Sci Fi novel about the filming of the first talking Western in the badlands of South Dakota. It has the most highlighted passages in it I am told.

      Thank you, Taryn, for being interested. :-)

      Delete