FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, July 4, 2016

FREE is the WORD OF THE DAY

JULY 4TH



The date resonates with the images of
freedom and fireworks.
But in this troubled land, FREE has many meanings ...




FREE!


The fireworks were spectacular.

That was my word for the day. Spectacular. I had another word picked for tonight.


Free.

Mama told me sitting on this sil was dangerous. I could fall off and kill myself. That was funny and sad at the same time.


Funny in that my window being so high above the other apartment buildings made for a …

spectacular view of these fiery (that had been last night’s word) comets going off so bright in the darkness.

Sad in that there were worse things than dying. I flinched as I heard Mama’s boyfriend yell louder just beyond my door where Mama stood.

Yeah, there was living.

At first, she just cried when Dr. Doom, as I called her boyfriend, started … visiting my room late at night.

When I started to walk funny, she seemed to find courage from somewhere and tried to stop him.

Not that it worked. He was bigger and meaner than Mama.

Oooh!


That was a big cloud of fireworks. It seemed to just spread out across the whole dark night …

like the fear in my chest was spreading as I heard Dr. Doom yell even louder.

I studied the fireworks leaping and flaring like some ballet of fiery angels. I jerked as I heard Mama yelp and hit the floor hard.

The exploding stars of green, red, and gold seemed to call out to me.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw her boyfriend lumber into the room like some mean bear.

I smiled and sighed. Time for my word of the night. I tumbled off the sil into the darkness.

 

I spread my arms wide as if I were flying.


The wind caressed my hair, my face. I smiled bigger.
I was free. Free! Fre …



**

8 comments:

  1. That gave me chills and tears in the eyes. Wow. Free does have many meanings.

    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 4th to you, too. I tried to be different in my July 4th post. Thanks for liking it. :-)

      Delete
  2. I was sad already today, missing my baby. Now I'm sadder still.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first holidays without the one we loved is always the hardest. I would not have made you sadder for the world.

      May tomorrow be easier for you. :-(

      Delete
  3. Freedom always seems to come with a big price, and it's always bitter sweet. You share here a very poignant vignette.
    Hope your 4th of July was joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grim story. Sort of a happy ending. In a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is often grim. As a former counselor, I know this scenario is oft repeated. :-(

      Delete