FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, July 22, 2016

STAR TREK BEYOND

One of the abiding pleasures of “Star Trek,” in its old and newer iterations, lies in its balance of stubborn consistency and canny inventiveness.
A. O. Scott  - New York Times


The actors, in particular, carry the essence of Roddenberry’s inclusive vision into the present. Star Trek Beyond is designed to dazzle. 
Stephanie Zacharek - Time


A return to fun, and a return to form for the new version of the old Trek. 
The 13th Trek movie is also the second good odd-numbered installment in a row. Lucky for some. 
Chris Hewitt  - Empire

What did I think of it?

INTO DARKNESS almost persuaded me never to see another new Star Trek movie ever again.

But STAR TREK BEYOND has redeemed the franchise for me.  

It tilts the eyes, stirs the imagination, tickles the funny bone, and touches the heart.

What more could you ask for?

This film further develops the Spock/McCoy feisty, funny dynamic from the old series and breathes new life and depth to it.

This is the first film of the three reboots that begins with the full crew, separates them into new teams, and then reunites them --

all the while keeping the momentum going forward in fun, unexpected twists and turns.

"Oh, but it is the same brand going where it's gone before" is one thing some reviews whine.

Not every wheel needs reinventing. 

 Sometimes it just needs a little axle grease and a shine ...

which STAR TREK BEYOND does ... for me.

After all, all I can say about a movie is what it did for me.  

And this movie made me a kid again, enjoying the wonderment of a universe of spectacle and mystery.

And Jaylah is my new Sci-Fi heart-throb.

10 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it. I did like the last one. The only one I didn't like was V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Shatner's fault as the director. DARKNESS was, to me, a copy of a much better WRATH OF KHAN. Just me. :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooh! Thanks for your review. I can't wait to see this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy it. Take a friend who likes science fiction -- it helps with the movie experience!

      Delete
  3. I used to be an ardent Star Trek fan but have fallen way behind in recent years. During the witer I'm more inclined to watch movies so maybe I'll catch up then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This movie needs to be seen in a theater -- especially in 3D. :-)

      Delete
  4. Hm. Why does that poster look so familiar? It seems... borrowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Call it homage to the very first Star Trek movie poster. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Roland - based on your review I might just see it .. I see it's on now at the local cinema - or the one I use. However with the weather like it is ... it just not might make it for a visit - can't miss the lovely weather! It may well be on next week too ...

    We shall see - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see in 3D, but good weather is a shame to miss :-)

      Delete