FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, July 18, 2016

HOW TO CREATE SUSPENSE

The suspense is killing me ...


The FIRST rule ...

Create characters with such depth and resonance that the reader cares when you place them in jeopardy.


The SECOND rule ...

SLOW BURN.  

The danger must approach relentlessly, slowly, seemingly unstoppably ... then BAM!!



The THIRD rule ...

SIZZLE sells the steak.  

The problem of readers being bored isn’t solved by adding action but instead by adding apprehension. 

Suspense is anticipation; action is payoff. 

You don’t increase suspense by “making things happen,” but by promising that they will.



The FOURTH rule...

FORESHADOW don't TELEGRAPH the danger.


The FIFTH rule ...

Make Death not an IF merely a WHEN.  

Make the suspenseful scene seemingly impossible to get of.


Now, get out there 
and raise some goosebumps 
on your readers!

14 comments:

  1. Those velocoraptors in the kitchen scared the hell out of me.

    Thanks for the videos. I loved adding suspense to my historical fiction (still editing it) -- it made the writing and the reading of the story more compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene made such an impression on me that I made one of "monsters" in my own mythos evolved raptors. I thought if any dinosaur intelligent enough to survive extinction, it would be them!

      Delete
  2. Good points, especially that action is not suspense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much action can actually become boring even! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh man, that scene from Bambi still chokes me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Because of Bambi and Old Yellow, I refuse to watch movies centered on animals!

      Delete
  4. I am really big on psychological suspense. I love that sense of impending doom and try hard to milk it for all it is worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me as well, but I like to do put other-world wonder into the mix, too! :-)

      Delete
  5. Such excellent advice, you make me want to write and you know I just do that for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always short stories you could write based on your many experiences. Thanks for saying such nice things about my post. :-)

      Delete
  6. I love psychological suspense. You do it so well. Person of Interest, Wow. That one is SO good IMHO. It was too intense for Jen, so I started watching other shows with her. Now I need to get back to it. Yes, suspense is the thing. Excellent post, Roland! (BTW I've started a new website, reposting some of the stories you've commented on in the past. If you come over :) pick out one you'd like. I recommend the Meet Chris Maoate...His prose poetry is stunning, and thus he reminds me of you!!) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll visit right now. POI was stunning this last season. I'm glad you're a fan. If you have NetFlix, the 8 part series, Stranger Things (the 1st 8 minutes are on this post) is part Goonies, Super 8, and X-Files -- but your heart goes out to the little girl escapee known only as 11.

      Delete
  7. I love the slow tease of information and experience that leads to an epic bang. Of course, it's such a fine art to create that slow build without losing readers--but you're right. It definitely starts with a character they have to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suspense is hard to do, but then if it were easy, everyone would write a bestseller, right? :-)

      Writing a character that readers care about isn't any easier, either, too!

      Thanks for visiting and staying to chat awhile.

      Delete