FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, April 7, 2017

F is for FUN


"Frivolity is Mankind's refusal to suffer, hence refusal to learn wisdom."
John Lahr

“A frivolous society can acquire dramatic significance only through what its frivolity destroys.” 
Edith Wharton


Why Does Fun Get Such A Bad Rap?


Prolonged stress induces hormones made to prepare us to outrun or fight predators.

Few of us encounter raptors these days,

 so modern stressors just mess with our internal chemical balance.

Researchers have discovered that positive, humorous people tend 

to live 7.5 years longer than the pessimist.

I figure that to pessimists it seems their shorter lives feel longer (the root canal effect!)

Yet, our Puritanical roots still color our thinking.

If we are seen as having fun, 

then we must not be responsible, must not be productive members of our society. 

A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress,

 leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.  

Laughter boosts the immune system. 

Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, 

thus improving your resistance to disease.

So having fun is really good for you! 


"One of the most wonderful things in life is to wake up and enjoy a cuddle with somebody; unless you are in prison."
 - Groucho Marx

"My new 1000 watt sound system is great!  I can control the volume of my apartment neighbor's banging on the wall."
   - Me

"I hate it when I run out of toilet paper, and I have to make the trip to the grocery store in really small steps."  
- George Carlin

WHY DO YOU THINK SO MANY FROWN ON OTHERS HAVING FUN?

7 comments:

  1. Roland! What a neat post. I would agree having fun looks like irresponsibility, and sometimes it is, specially in the younger generations. But I also see the health benefits, and moderated fun, depending on the kind giggles, can be some of the best medicine. Have a great day!
    Secrets Theme (AC)
    Decadent Kane Visiting from the A-Z Challenge
    Paranormal Romance Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Decadent Kane. I was beginning to feel as if I were singing to an empty house! :-)

      Delete
    2. You will never sing to an empty room. Even the ghosts are reading, listening in. ;-)

      Keep up your great work, you've definitely settled into the A-Z challenge even deeper than last year, (which was very pleasing to read).

      Here's to hoping your work is recognized among the most creative. Regardless of accolades, we know you are more than deserving~!~

      Delete
  2. That's a good question. I think you touched on a possible answer when you mentioned "our Puritanical roots." They frowned on everything that was enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, The Scarlet Letter showed just how much fun those folks weren't!!

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog through The Lair of the Silver Fox. I think it's appropriate that I found it on the day you mention "fun" since my husband always says he married a parade.

    I have always felt bad for anyone who doesn't have a sense of humor. Just because I love to laugh doesn't mean I can't take things seriously. I simply prefer to leave the serious moments for when they're absolutely needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big advocate for fun. I'm one of those people who can find something to laugh about at a funeral, but restrain myself out of consideration for others. When you think about it, "fun" comes first in "funeral" so shouldn't we have some fun?

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete