FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, April 14, 2017

L is for LOST


It’s enough to be in stark places like the Badlands, 
to be alone awhile in a place 
where all I can hear is the lonely wind blowing,
 where all I can see is the earth
 stretching all around me
 into the far distant mountains. 
I look up into the wide embrace of the endless night.
 Life sings to me again,
 and I know I am not lost. 

 ***

Is Every Generation
a
Lost Generation?

In A Moveable Feast, published after Hemingway's and Gertrude Stein's deaths, 

Hemingway claims that Stein heard the phrase from a garage owner who serviced Stein's car. 

When a young mechanic failed to repair the car quickly enough, the garage owner shouted at the boy, 

"You are all a "génération perdue.

Stein, in telling Hemingway the story, added, 

"That is what you are. That's what you all are ... 

all of you young people who served in the war. 

You are a lost generation."

'Lost means not vanished 

but disoriented, wandering, directionless

a recognition that there was great confusion and aimlessness 

among the war's survivors in the early post-war years.

But look around you.

Do you not see in the eyes of those around you confusion and aimlessness?

No matter the era, photos from those times reveal "lost" eyes of not just the young

but the old as well.

Look at history:

those in power in whatever form seem to have lost their moral compass.

What Do You Think?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - I would certainly hope that we are not going to be a lost generation - though plenty of peoples in the world very sadly are ... it's not good right now ... I never thought we'd be in this position ... let's hope and be peaceful this weekend of all times ... Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/l-is-for-legendary-beasts-of-britain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many politicians seem to have lost their moral compass!

      Delete
  2. Not bad. I never heard where the expression "lost generation" originated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the former English teacher in me that knows all manner of literature trivia. :-)

      Delete